Standard of Homestay Requirements
The Required Standards for student accommodation are set by DET International Students Centre as follows:
- The home must be clean and comfortable and the Homestay Hosts/Guardians must reside at the Homestay Premises.
- Each student is to have its own room, bed, desk or if a shared room no more than 2 persons per room (same sex) each of whom must have separate bed and desk.
- Students are not to share rooms with host family members and sharing arrangements will only be provided if the parents of the Student(s) so request.
- There are to be no more than 3 overseas students residing in the home.
- Students are to be given a key to the home or arrangements made so that the Student can gain access to the home at any time.
- There must be adequate lighting for study purposes.
- There must be heating in winter and some means of cooling in summer.
- There must be access to shared bathroom, with reasonable time allowed for showers (10 minutes).
- There must be access to kitchen and laundry facilities and use of shared living areas of home.
- The Homestay Host is to provide 2 meals a day on weekdays and 3 meals on weekends and, in providing meals, the Homestay Host must be aware of and take account of cultural differences.
- House rules are to be discussed and explained to the Student, (including friends visiting, use of phone and incoming calls, cleaning of room or other household tasks, meal times and rules for behaviour such as going out and times for arriving home, manners and courtesy).
- Student should only cover the actual cost of phone or internet usage. Use of Homestay internet will be restricted including restrictions on downloads. Internet access is not permitted between 11pm and 6am.
- A student’s bedroom is their own personal sanctuary whilst in Australia – it is here that they can be completely comfortable in their own space. It is extremely important that host families respect the student’s privacy and space. The Department of Education regulations state that Host Families must NOT store any of their own belongings in the student’s bedroom.
News Feed Subscribe
Subscribe to our Oz Homestay News Feed to receive important information for Homestay Families and Educational Institutions.
"We have been a host family for many years and acknowledge Oz Homestay to be a truly professional organization of dependable, reliable and trustworthy character. Their friendly and helpful staff are always on hand at all times to answer any questions or solve any problems. We have had a long association with Oz Homestay and have no hesitation in recommending them to any other interested Host Family."
Jenny & Mark
Homestay Family - Frenchs Forest