Host Family Registration Procedures
Step 1 – Complete Registration Form Complete the Family Online Registration Form OR go to the Host Family Forms page, download the relevant PDF Application form, then print and FAX the completed form back to us.
Step 2 – Complete The Working With Children Check Form Please refer to the Office of the Children’s Guardian website. Host families are classified as “Paid Workers.”
Step 3 – Clearances Once you have completed your application, you will receive a Working With Children Check Application Number. Please inform Oz Homestay of this number to so we can verify that you have a valid application in progress.
Step 4 – Form Approval Process Once your application has been processed, you will be notified of the outcome by email (or post if you do not have an email address). There are only two results of a Working With Children Check – a clearance or a bar.
Step 5 – Home Visit Once we receive your clearances (and believe we will have suitable students for you), we’ll arrange a home visit to view the bedroom(s) available for students and the common areas of the home.
Step 6 – Student Placement Once the home visit has been completed, we can look at placing students with you. This can take some time, as we need to make sure we find the best match between students and hosts.
- Authorised carers and their adult household members are required to obtain a Working With Children Check. Any person age 18 and over who stays for three weeks or more on the property of an authorised carer must have a Check. If your friends or relatives stay regularly, but not full time (e.g. several nights a week), he / she will still require a Check.
- Only main carers need to have “paid workers” clearance, all other adult household members are not required to pay for a Working With Children Check.
- Home visits are usually conducted on weekday evenings or weekends, depending on where you live.
- Student numbers do fluctuate and we can never guarantee that we will be able to place a student with every family.
- We will only contact families when we have potential students requesting homestay in the area.